Saturday, January 11, 2014

Filling a Gray Winter Sky with Tree Branches

The winter sky yesterday was quite gray. We had fog in the morning and evening, and we were looking at the possibility of snow from the afternoon on. (It didn't exactly sound like the most ideal situation for taking pictures, did it?) 

I took my NEX-6 outside and looked around for some color (ha,ha!) -- and what did I find? Some dead leaves clinging to a branch. It was a little bit of orangey-brown in an otherwise gray world. Lining myself up underneath the leaves and shooting up into the treetop (f-stop f/4.5 for those of you who are keeping track; three exposures -3, 0, +3 for merging on Photomatix). I set Photomatix to 'handheld' for the processing, but I also used the selective deghosting tool to circle the bottom right corner (basically, where the leaves and the branch are,) as there was enough wind going to make significant movement. 

The result? I like what I see going on in the background here. And - for a winter day on which you might not have been expecting to find much, there were some nice crystallization effects going on in the trees. 


No comments:

Post a Comment