Friday, February 28, 2014

White and Purple Flowers and Greenery


I seem to have been on a floral kick lately... This is another 11 exposure image that has been fused together in Photomatix for an HDR effect. 

What I like best about these cut flower images is that I am able to make these exposures inside. Aside from the subzero weather that we have been experiencing here in Minnesota (which makes indoor photography a welcome idea), I like these photos better for HDR processing -- for the reason that I encounter less movement from the wind, gentle breezes, etc. 

My HDR images seem to work best when they have the exact same scene in the frame for each exposure. Any movement (or differences between the images that are being merged) will result in a phenomenon called 'ghosting' -- where the merged differences produce mysterious looking transparencies called 'ghosts'. This is great, if that's what you were going for. If not, they are a nuisance.)

As of late, I've noticed a couple of issues with my Sony NEX-7. First, let me say that there are two basic ways to create the exposures that are needed for HDR processing. (There is also a third method with several variations for producing pseudo-HDR images.) The NEX-7 has a built in feature that can automatically fire off three shots, set to a preset exposure setting. Most often, I use the -3, 0, +3 setting. 

Issue number one: Often, when I use the automatic exposure setting, the darkest image is not produced. Instead of a -3, the camera will return an extra 0, or sometimes a -.3. (Maybe I need to check sony.com for a firmware update?) Perhaps this has something to do with shooting in the sunlight? It has happened often enough, that I have noticed it as a recurring problem. 

This 'automatic triple exposure firing mode' does have its limitations. You only get three exposures, and if you want more, you need to make them 'manually'. You can manually turn a dial on the camera and change the exposure settings from -5 to +5. (This has been my usual method for making such exposures.)

For shooting images where I change the exposure manually, I use both a tripod and a remote control. (I try to reduce anything that might move my camera as much as possible. Turning the exposure dial is the only thing that cannot be avoided.) 

This now leads me to issue number two: I started noticing that some of my tripod pictures were a little off-kilter. At first, I assumed that it had something to do with my hand touching the exposure dial on the camera as I  manually set the exposures -- that perhaps there was some sort of imperceptible movement taking place as I touched the camera. Then, while I was actually taking the pictures, I looked at the display screen on the back of the camera and noticed that there were actually some slight movements on the display -- that seemed to be a result of the firing of the shutter! (I was using my remote control and not touching the shutter button on the camera.) My best guess at this point is that there is possibly something faulty about my tripod, which might lack the proper weight to stabilize the camera. Aside from this, I'm not sure what is going on! 

   




No comments:

Post a Comment