Thursday, February 6, 2014

Little Finch with Fake Leaves on the Rocks

My picture here of this little finch was really something special to me. This picture was taken at a zoo, and I was shooting through glass (no, not Google Glass... I wish...). All of my other images in this set came through with some kind of glare or reflection on them, but this one managed to come through unscathed.  

Thinking about it, finches (is this really a finch?) are the kind of bird that I see all the time when I visit nursing homes. It's fairly common (at least in my experience) to find some kind of aviary box at such a place, filled with all sorts of colorful little birds for the residents to enjoy. (I have yet to take my camera to a nursing home, but, maybe that's not such a bad idea?)

This particular picture was shot more than a decade ago, back in the days before I was shooting RAW in multiple exposures. In order to make this pseudo-HDR image, I had to take the original JPEG, generate a couple of exposures darker and lighter. I merged those files together in Photomatix. The first image is the below is the resulting (pseudo) HDR; the second is the original.  



No comments:

Post a Comment