Saturday, March 1, 2014

Out of Focus Pictures Article in Digital Photo Magazine

Reading the latest issue of Digital Photo magazine (April 2014), I found an article by Tracey Clark of Shutter Sisters, who wrote of her adventures in figuring out how to take 'out of focus' pictures with her iPhone. My first thought was, "Why would you want to take out of focus pictures?" which, Clark (in the article) answers: "I've always enjoyed shooting out of focus (on purpose) for images that feel more like dreams than reality." And then, I started thinking about some of my own 'out of focus' photos.

Where my own 'lack of focus' may have been a little less intentional than Clark's, I went back and looked at these images with a different sense of interest. Do they feel "a little bit more like dreams than reality"? One in particular that caught my attention was this one, an early morning photo of the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan, with a freighter preparing to pass underneath. Autofocus was no match for the low-light (and the lights), so that I ended up with what follows.


No comments:

Post a Comment