Wednesday, February 12, 2014

HDR from Film (Vitoslavitsy, Novgorod) - White Squiggles and all

In a couple of months, it will have been 20 years since the trip that I took in high school over to Russia. I had taken along with me my parents' camera, a Nikon N5005. This camera is memorable to me as my first camera with autofocus. (I think it was the first camera in our household that had autofocus. There was a manual focus camera, but I didn't really use that one. I do remember using a few of those cheap, fixed focus film cameras, both of the 35mm and of the 110mm variety.) What I remember about the N5005 on the trip to Russia was being absolutely thrilled to be able to use a camera where the pictures actually turned out in focus! (As opposed to the trip that I had taken a few years earlier to Washington D.C., where my fixed focus camera needed something more than what I was able give it, in order to bring home pictures that were actually worth the money that we spent on film development... but, I digress.)

I've been going back through some of my film negatives and have been scanning them with my Epson V600 Photo Scanner. I have scanned these photos at several brightness levels, and am now sending them through Photomatix to see what I can produce. The first thing I notice on these negatives is a common theme of little squiggly white imperfections. I'm guessing that these have either 'developed' over time, or they are something that the photo labs were gracious enough to 'Photoshop' out when they made my prints. Not yet having figured out how to do that, I present today's picture below - white squiggles and all - from an outdoor wooden architecture museum (called Vitoslavitsy) from somewhere near Novgorod, Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment