Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Staring Down a Northern Pike

I have some good winter memories of fishing for Northern Pike up in the Baudette Bay. At the time, I don't think the bay was exactly known as a 'fishing hot spot'. More fishermen (at least at the time) would use the bay as a launching point to get their boats out into the Rainy River (or they would simply make the drive out to Lake of the Woods; both the river and the lake were far more likely to yield the 'much more desirable' walleye).

I remember one winter of fishing with my tip-ups, which yielded a couple of good-sized pike that I pulled through the ice. My bait was something frozen, 6-inches or so; most of the time I used frozen smelt that was sold specifically as bait. On one particular adventure, the two pike that I pulled through the ice were 33 and 36 inches; they put up a good fight to be brought through the hole. (I loved to listen to the sound of the tip-up line whirring as these fish took the bait; it was a good sign that you had something nice on the other side of the ice.) As fun as it was to catch these pike, I had to throw them both back; they both fell within the 30-40 inch 'catch-and-release window' that was being enforced at the time. Still, catching them is a good memory.

I only happened to 'catch' the pike below with my Canon XTi, while walking around at a zoo. Coming across this picture file (JPEG) the other day, I sent it through Photomatix. First below is the unedited file, followed by the Photomatix 5 version. (As you can see, I am also going to have to learn how to use the kind of photo editing software that will take all the dust and dirt and such off of the aquarium glass....)



No comments:

Post a Comment