Monday, December 23, 2013

Cut-and-Paste HDR Jonagold Apples

The more I try to process apples through HDR, the more I wonder whether apples really work in HDR, or whether I would be better off making applesauce?

Here are a few of my attempts through Photomatix 5. (11 exposures, -5 to +5.)


Preset: Trey Ratcliff's "Bob Ross Has Not Left"

This preset brings out both the reds and the yellows in the apples. Some spots have a wood-grained texture. Other spots look as though they have been sponge-painted.



Preset: Trey Ratcliff's "Mega Extreme Do Not"

(I know Trey says not to, but... I really like this preset...) The red comes out quite deep in this setting, producing a slightly more dramatic presentation than the "Bob Ross" setting above.



Preset: Trey Ratcliff's "Poo Corner"

When I use the "Poo Corner" preset, it gives an almost 'old world' feel to the images. I'm not quite sure that's what it does for these apples, but I have noticed it elsewhere. (See for example my post on the Hotel Lobby Christmas Decorations.)



Preset: Photomatix 5 "Enhanced 2"

This image looks quite bland when compared to Trey's settings above. While this presentation is definitely more 'muted', what I like about it is that it still preserves the 'white spots' on the apples. (They almost look like stars reflected on the apple skins.)



Preset: Photomatix 5 "Surreal"

The "Surreal" setting puts these apples out a little bit more on the 'wild side'. No, these apples won't look like this in real life. (Looking at the apples this way, I'm not even sure that I would really want to eat them!)



Preset: Photomatix 5 "Surreal 2"

I think Photomatix's "Surreal 2" is very similar to Trey's "Mega Extreme". (The only immediate difference that I notice is the absence of the warning labels, saying: "Do not use!")



Preset: Photomatix 5 "B&W Natural"

And then, perhaps ironically (at least for someone who does not do a lot of black and white photography), the setting in which the apples seem to me to look - most naturally - like... apples... was this one:



Now, not being one to leave it alone, I opened up some of the images in my ancient version of Adobe Photoshop Elements (2, for those who are keeping track), and -- with a little bit of layering and eraser magic, I came up with this:


No comments:

Post a Comment