Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Bonus Post: Updated to Photomatix 5


Initial thoughts on Photomatix 5 (from a self-professed post-processing newbie):

It looks a like like Photomatix 4, with some noticeable exceptions:

1. After loading my bracketed photos, I am presented with a "deghosting options" window. On the sunset image above, there were some really weird purple black holes at the end of the reflection of the sun in the water; by sliding the deghosting option up (eventually to strong), those little purple black holes simply disappeared. (There is also a 'brightness' and a 'zoom' option on this page, so that you can better see what exactly it is that you are deghosting.)

2. Once I am happy with my deghosting options and click the button to move on, I am back to the familiar 'preview page' from the previous iteration of Photomatix. The few differences that are immediately noticeable to me in the presets bar are filters like "vibrant", "enhanced 2", "interior" 1 and 2.

3. Moving right along, I click the button and eventually find myself transported to the "finishing touch" window, where I notice new buttons in the workflow shortcuts: "Save Final Image" and "Double Tone Map".

Verdict? Why would you ask a newbie for a verdict? What do I know??? I'm simply going to keep playing around with Photomatix 5 and see if I come up with more images that I like. I've already got posts lined up every day to take me through November (where most if not all of the photos were processed in Photomatix 4), so it probably won't be until early December that you see more of what I do with Photomatix 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment