Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Stamp Filtered Mackinac Bridge and Mackinaw City Water Tower


Back in grade school, I remember an art project where we had these really sharp gouging tools that we used to gouge away parts from a flat rubber piece, making a stamp. (I'm pretty sure that I nicked myself a few times in the process.) I've also heard of something similar being done with potatoes. Back in the era of the fifteen hundreds (give or take a century or two,) the process of making woodcuts was very popular, with some of those woodcuts having not only very fine details, but also the artist had figured out how to create layers of shading to increase the color palette from black and white to quite a bit of gray in between. The above image was neither cut into a rubberized mat, nor a potato, nor a piece of wood; I can't imagine the patience that it would take go through and get even the larger details in this photo, not to mention all of the ripples in the water or the wall of rocks that runs directly through the middle of the image. So, here's a shout out to Albrecht Duerer; good job! :)

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment