Saturday, November 5, 2016

Get Some Perspective, Little Goldfinch

When cropping an image, it's always a question of what do you include in the image, what do you exclude, and how do you arrange the elements that are left in your composition? 

In terms of composition, my original photo had the subject at the center, the goldfinch swinging on the bird feeder. You see a metal post to the right and part of a building in the background on the left. 


Reframing the image, I have cropped out the post and the building, so that all you have left here is the goldfinch in the upper left-third of the image, while the right two-thirds of the image are the blurred out background of the tree branches.


Perhaps resorting to what could be called "unnecessary zoom," I brought my crop in even further, so that here the goldfinch takes up the left two-thirds of the image, while the right-third of the image is blank background (with no distractions). (This isn't to say that the tree branches in the background of the second image were 'distracting'; I think they add visual interest or 'variation' to the background of the image without taking the viewer's attention away from the subject, the goldfinch.)


So, that's what I was thinking as I tried to get some perspective on this image of a little goldfinch at my feeder. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment