Friday, June 13, 2014

Grape Jelly Wine Glass Oriole (and a Mourning Dove)

Today, I have two pictures. The first is a guest picture (from my wife). While I was out, she happened to be by the camera. An oriole landed on our makeshift bird feeder and was very much interested in the grape jelly that we had placed in the wine glass. (Stretch as it might, the bird couldn't quite reach the jelly. Later in the day, I moved the glass a little closer to the edge.) (I processed this single image file in Photomatix and then cropped and further tweaked the image in Aftershot Pro.)



The second image (this one, mine) was of a Mourning Dove that was wandering around in the grass in my back yard, probably looking for bugs. It seems that the orioles are the only birds (so far) in our neighborhood that are attracted to the grape jelly. Thankfully, the squirrels have not discovered a taste for it.

For some reason, the color scheme that seemed to me to best fit in this particular image came through one of the surreal presets on Photomatix. (I'm not sure whether I was thinking more about the green of the grass, or the pastel blue of the bird's eye. But, that's what I was going for here.)


No comments:

Post a Comment