Monday, June 9, 2014

Bee Flying to the Jelly Jar


Ok, so I'm not really trying for any photography awards with today's photo. A friend suggested that I try some kind of set-up, maybe using a glass (like maybe a wine glass) in which I could put my grape jelly and take some interesting pictures of the orioles. I set out a little shot glass, which did attract an oriole; however, it's more common customer was the bee -- as pictured in this image from two days ago. (Yesterday, there were easily three bees in the jelly at the same time... coming and going.) I think my setup could use a little work, and perhaps I'll do something to try for the award-winning photographs some other day.

In order to catch the bee in this image (as something more than a blur), I dropped my exposure bias to minus 2, and I set my camera to ISO-3200. This dropped my exposure time to 1/4000 sec. (It also turned the picture quite a bit grainier.) I was shooting with my Sony 55-210mm lens fully extended, sitting maybe about ten feet from the feeder (and shooting through a glass window besides). I'm sure that the shots would improve dramatically if I simply went outside; I'm just not too sure how close I want to get to the bees. (I suppose that this is where some photographers would push the envelope and live a little bit on the edge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment