Saturday, May 31, 2014

One of these Seeds is Not Like the Others

  
This perceptive little nuthatch seems to have perceived that one of the seeds on my deck is not like the others. The shell of some other nut, not part of my usual bird seed mix, was most likely left behind by a squirrel. It's somewhat amusing, as I will often find such items on my porch. It's almost as though the squirrels are offering a trade: "We will take your good bird seed (scratch that: "We will take your good bird seed, crack it open, and leave the hull behind") and then we will leave you parting gifts (scratch that: "And we will leave behind the garbage of what we have eaten from what we have collected elsewhere." Seriously! Finding a corn cob in my yard is not an unusual occurrence.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment