Sunday, May 25, 2014

Female American Goldfinch Eating Birdseed


So far this summer (is it still really only spring?), the American Goldfinch has been a rare visitor to my property and has (thus far) eluded my camera for a nice closeup picture. I have managed to take a few faraway pictures of a male goldfinch, which had spent a few days hopping around from branch to branch in the lilac trees out on the edge of my property. Talking about them with a friend, he had mentioned that these birds are especially partial to thistles (thistle seeds?). According to my bird guide book, he is correct, although they are supposedly also open to seeds in general. (We put out black oil sunflower seeds.) When I identified this bird that was eating the seeds on my deck as a female American Goldfinch, I was quite pleased. Hopefully the male will also stop by, as they are very pretty birds. (If I really want that to happen, though, I may have to break down and buy a different bag of bird seed mix....)

No comments:

Post a Comment