Thursday, April 10, 2014

Miniature Rose with Dark Background


As my miniature rose bud from Valentine's Day continues to open up, for today's picture I dropped the curtain behind it and made 11 exposures (tonemapped in Photomatix). I set the F-stop on the camera out to f/9, hoping to bring more of the flower into focus. (With f/1.8, I seem to get only part of the flower in focus and the rest has a blurred effect.) Shooting at this F-stop made for longer exposures on the brighter images, so that I was sitting there - very still, doing my best not to shake either the camera or the plant. Because the plant is so small, I had to set my camera right on top of the plant. (Not literally: The camera was on a tripod, yet it was so close to the plant, that whenever I turned the dial on the camera to change the exposure, the movement would lightly shake the plant. I then had to wait for the plant to come to a complete stop before I could resume picture taking.) I typically use a remote control to release the shutter for these kind of shots, to reduce any vibrations on the camera. (Yes, a timer would work for this as well.) So, that's a little window into what I've got going on in this image.

No comments:

Post a Comment