Friday, March 23, 2018

Comparing Different Graphic Novel version of a Tree Blossom Photo (AuroraHDR, Photoshop Elements)

I am posting a number of images today for comparison purposes. I have a collection of "crab apple blossom" photos (at least, that's what I think they are.) They're one of the delightful things that I find in my area sometime between May and June, but they only last for about a week. (A good rain storm usually takes all of the petals down fairly quickly after they've flowered.) 

The first image here is the Aurora HDR, where the HDR process has especially brought out the cloudy background. 


As I touched the image up in Photoshop Elements, it reminded me of the colors that were common in postcards from back in... the 1940s? 50s?


I also processed the image with the Graphic Novel filter. Twice. The first Graphic Novel filter preset that I used was the "Painted Gray" option, edited somewhat after the fact.


I layered the HDR color image into the Graphic Novel image above, and it looks fairly similar to the regular color image (as edited).


I also applied the Graphic Novel filter a second time, this time using the "Twisted Plot" preset. I liked what it did with the blacks and whites in this... black and white image.


I did not at all like what happened when I layered the color into the second graphic novel image. The colors seem... smudgy, particularly where it was layered together with the parts of the image above that were black.


Those are my pictures for today. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment