Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Nuthatch in the Snow


Continuing with my nuthatch theme, this is a single image file processed through Photomatix for HDR effect. I cropped the original image as shown below:


This moved most of the bird into the lower left two-thirds of the image, leaving (most of) the top one-third and the right one-third of the image "empty". In setting my image up for the crop, I didn't want to cut into the shadow and thought it would look better to leave a little border around the shadow, which moved the subject "outside of the lines". In my crop, I was also considering the shape of the subject, which seemed to imply a triangle (as filled in below).


Of course, you can't ask the bird to smile and strike a pose for you. I set my camera to a rapid-fire mode in which it first sets a focus and then captures a half-dozen images in rapid succession. Looking at the files afterward, many cannot be used, many are duplicates, but a handful actually come through that can be processed into something that I like. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment