Thursday, October 9, 2014

Pictures of Orion at the Lunar Eclipse



While taking pictures of the lunar eclipse yesterday morning, I learned a few lessons. I was basically guessing, running through the settings dial, hoping to find a something in which I could get a half-way decent picture of the moon. I'm not quite sure that a 24mm lens is the best choice for shooting these photos, as such a lens leaves you trying to focus in on a small dot in your frame (one that mostly appears as a ball of light...). The image above is cropped from the original, which was shot at ISO-100, F-stop f//1.8, 1 sec. (with a remote control). It's not the best that I had hoped for but was the best that I made.

When I grew frustrated trying to get a proper moon shot, I turned instead to shooting the constellation Orion. I think that the best shot I came up with was the following:


F-stop: f/1.8, ISO-800, Exposure time: 19 sec.

Compare that photo with the one that I had taken immediately prior, where (again, using my remote control,) the only difference in settings was that the exposure time came out to 8 seconds:


At first blush, this final picture might seem to be the better picture, as I like how dark space appears. However, what I liked better about the 19 second image was the fact that you could see so many more; though the overall image is brighter, I like how "full" the 19 second image appears to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment