Friday, July 11, 2014

Dragonfly in my bushes

There was a dragonfly (at least one) flying around my house yesterday, which prompted me to learn a little bit about dragonflies.

My first question was: How can I attract dragonflies? Specifically, what can I set up around my house to get a dragonfly to give a nice pose for my camera? I was looking for an answer like "grape jelly" (apparently not) or something like that. The answer I found instead involved digging some kind of pond and sticking bamboo sticks around in it on which the dragonfly might perch... something that's not going to happen around here anytime soon.

I have found that the dragonflies will land on my "sticky" (as in, lots of sticks) bushes, and they also like the far board on my deck. (Why? No clue.) They supposed like to sun themselves on light colored rocks (which is doable). I also learned that there are something like 300 dragonflies on the endangered species list, which added an element of coolness to the pictures that I took today (although I doubt that my dragonfly was one of the endangered ones.)

No comments:

Post a Comment