Saturday, January 26, 2019

"Leaping Carp" Liu Jie (Graphic Novel filter)

Austin Kleon in his weekly newsletter for January 25 tipped me off (ok, not just me, but everyone else, too,) to the Cleveland Museum of Art releasing over 30,000 public domain artworks for remixing and reuse, which then is the source of today's image that I'm posting. 

I like Chinese fish pictures. I used to look at them on eBay, though I can't say that I ever bought any. This particular image, titled "Leaping Carp," is credited to the Chinese artist Liu Jie (c.1447-1520s). 

I downloaded the high-resolution tiff file (40.7 MB), here converted to a JPEG image: 


I used Photoshop Elements' "Remove Color Cast" feature to get a less yellow shade of the image, and then applied the Graphic Novel filter for several passes. I layered images of varying light levels (light to dark) together and produced the following:


I layered the above Graphic Novel image into the original color image, for the below result. I really like how much better the fish stands out in my edit, as opposed to the original image, where it seems somewhat washed out.


I then applied Photoshop Elements' Auto Enhancement features for Smart Fix, Contrast, and Levels to get the image below. For me, it's a toss-up between the one above and the one below as to which I like better.


That's it! Thanks for stopping by and looking at my pictures! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment