Tuesday, March 22, 2016

The Power of Showing Up


I've heard varying versions of a quote attributed to Woody Allen, saying that 90% of success is just showing up. The first time I heard that quotation, I was in a Freshman Seminar class at college, where the professor was trying to impress upon us that we should not skip class but should just show up. Even if we hadn't done our reading. Even if we hadn't done our homework. Even if we were totally unprepared, we should just show up. (I'm sure that he followed up by saying that we should do our best to make sure that we were prepared, that we had done our homework, etc.) Whether or not Woody Allen actually said this quote, or whether it was only 80% of success, the point still stuck with me and it's something that I've seen time and again ever since.

What is it about the nuthatch that draws me to taking and posting its picture? The bird shows up! They've been around my house all winter. And, 9 times out of 10, when I pull out my camera, guess who is posing? The nuthatch! The pictures may not be anything spectacular, but they're all part of just showing up.

Speaking of showing up, thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment