Thursday, March 24, 2016

Pine Siskin (Blended Dry Brush Filter)


I was reading an article the other day from the Wall Street Journal about Degas's printmaking process, which boiled down to painting on a copper plate, place paper over the painting, run the plate/paper through a press, peel, and... voila! Sometimes the process yielded something fantastic; sometimes it smudged. According to the article, for Degas, it was all about the process.

I've found some of that with my photography as well. Working your way through various post-processing options can be like smooshing a painting, peeling the paper, and seeing what you get. (Although, if you don't like what you get in Photoshop, it's easier to redo the process.)

For this picture, I tried something that I've been doing for a while now with a different filter. I had been using the Stamp Filter, layering together several shades from light to dark at varying levels of opacity. For this image, I Dry Brush Filtered the image and then layered in the original image (I think it was somewhere around 65%.) The result? Although I can only notice a subtle difference, the layered version does have a 'painted' feeling to it, while it has also maintained some of the details that were lost without adding the original back in. It's an interesting process, and I may play around with this more in the future.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment