Sunday, November 1, 2015

Pretty Orange Bird, Preferences Learned While Processing Vacation Photography (Dry Brush Filter)


This orange and black bird was one that I saw while on vacation. It had a very pretty song.

While on vacation, I took hundreds (probably thousands) of photos, shooting all of them in RAW. If I understand it correctly, the advantage to shooting in RAW is that you have more hands-on control over the processing of your image, as opposed to the image being processed according to whatever has been preset inside of the camera.

The downside is that RAW photos take up lots of space on those memory cards. From my NEX-7, they work out to 24MB each; the NEX-6 shoots 16MB image files.

After returning from vacation, this meant that I needed to spend some significant time with my photo editing programs (Corel Paintshop Pro and Photoshop Elements 12). Needing to make the process quick (my wife having a Shutterfly coupon that expires sometime soon,) I basically applied a four-step process involving Photoshop's "Smart Fix", "Levels", "Contrast", and "Color". (Thank you Adobe for putting the shortcut key references into the program; this made things go much, MUCH more quickly than if I had to tap into the menu bar.) I realize that applying the Adobe preset might not be much different than letting my Sony camera figure it out (and save lots of space on those cards!), but I did like having the control, of being able to say that I wanted a certain look to my photos. One of the things that I found (in processing HUNDREDS! of photos) was that I tend to like warmer colored photos better than cooler ones. There were times when a cooler tone worked for me, but - more often than not, I went with the warmer hues. (Hmmm, I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that a Minnesota winter will soon be upon us here?)

Those are my musings for today. Thanks for stopping by! 

No comments:

Post a Comment